The Census Bureau's Mission to Help You Find and Explore Socioeconomic Data to Measure America
Author(s): Census Bureau
Organizational Author(s): U.S. Department of Commerce
The Census Bureau's mission is to serve as the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy.
Census Bureau (Census) surveys provide periodic and comprehensive statistics about the nation and regions, which is critical for government programs, policies, and decision-making.
Census data is used to:
- determine the distribution of Congressional seats to states
- make planning decisions about community services, such as where to provide services for the elderly, build new roads and schools, or locate job training centers
- distribute more than $400 billion in federal funds to local, state and tribal governments each year
- provide age search information for benefits, passport applications, family history research, etc.
The national census counts every resident in the United States. It is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution, and takes place every 10 years.
The American Community Survey (ACS) is a mandatory, ongoing statistical survey that samples a small percentage of the population every year.
The Economic Census is the U.S. Government's official five-year measure of American business and the economy.
The Census Bureau releases fourteen different reports on key economic indicators. Each indicator is released on a specific schedule.
This special census identifies the scope and nature of the nation's state and local government sector, including public finance, public employment and classifications.
The Census Bureau launched a tool to help customers search through its various sets of survey data for easier location and analysis of socioeconomic statistics about American communities.
The Census Bureau offers narrative profiles of regions to assist with compiling data to tell the story about your community.
Stay up on recent releases of data to know when Census has refreshed or updated is data series and products.
You Might Also Like
- Sector Strategies: Economic Development that Changes Regiona...
- Economic Development Blueprint: Information to Support Commu...
- The Council for Community and Economic Research - A Regional...
- Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness - A Resource fo...
- Partnering with Economic Development Agencies and Chambers o...