The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) mandated the creation of the Workforce Information Advisory Council (WIAC), an advisory committee charged with providing focused and specialized leadership on the labor market information (LMI) system.
The WIAC will meet virtually on December 3rd, 10th, and 17th, from 1pm to 4pm Eastern Time each day.
To see the planned meeting agenda and register to listen in, please visit: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/wioa/wiac/meetings.
- Federal Register Notice of WIAC meeting
- Register at this link: https://www.thegateam.com/wiac/index.html
There will be opportunities to send questions to the meeting facilitator, and those instructions will be provided during the meeting. In the near future, an agenda for this meeting will also be posted to the website.
The WIAC Mission and Membership under WIOA
The WIAC is made up of experts, who address the evaluation and improvement of the nationwide LMI system, and its statewide systems by:
- Studying workforce and labor market information issues;
- Seeking and sharing information on innovative approaches, new technologies, and data to inform employment, skills training, and workforce and economic development decision-making and policy-making; and
- Advising the Secretary of Labor on how the labor market information system can best support workforce development activities, planning and program development.
The WIAC recommendations address the evaluation and improvement of federal and state workforce and LMI systems, and how the department and the states will cooperate in the management of those data systems.
The 14-member WIAC includes:
- Four state workforce information or labor market information directors,
- Four state workforce agency administrators, and
- One member representing each of the following constituent groups:
WIAC Charter and Regularly Scheduled Meetings
The WIAC held its first meeting in July of 2016 in Washington, DC.
Detailed agendas for its meetings, and notices of opportunity for members of the public to address the WIAC, are available on WIAC's Homepage.